5 Steps to Getting Certified to Teach in Texas
We can help you become a teacher in Dallas-Fort Worth.
To get certified to teach in Texas:
- Determine what you want to teach.
- Choose the right certification area.
- Review your pathway to certification.
- Create your interactive checklist, if you're ready to apply.
- Review other resources, like Talk to a Teacher, if you're still exploring.
Note: We do our best to keep all information updated, but because certification requirements are regularly reviewed and revised, it is best to confirm requirements with your teacher preparation program and the Texas Education Agency (TEA) before applying.
Which statement fits you best?
Choosing a Certification Area
Once you know your grade and subject preferences, you can select a certification area. We've compiled all of them below.
Pro Tip: You can obtain endorsement certifications in different subjects throughout your teaching career. You don’t have to get all your certifications at once. ?
In some cases, you may have multiple certification options to choose from. For example, if you want to teach fourth, fifth or sixth grade, you could get (a) a certification for PK-6th grade and/or (b) a certification for 4th-8th grade.
These are the most common certification areas in Texas, per the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC):
Not a fan of hunting through text tables?
Try this viz on for size!
- Select the grade(s) and/or subject(s) you're interested in teaching, and the chart will update to show you what certifications you need.
- Hover to explore additional notes and details.
Your Pathway to Teaching
Start an Interactive Checklist
Now that you know the steps, use our free app to keep track of application deadlines and best practices.
Just select your program to get reminders, pointers and 1-on-1 advice.