Try Out Teaching in DFW
Teaching is incredibly rewarding work, but it’s not for everyone. Not sure whether it's for you? Don't worry, we’ve compiled a list of regional opportunities to explore this challenging but invaluable
Why gain experience working with students?
Opportunities for Current High School Students
- Breakthrough operates summer and school-year programs to assist under-resourced students. High schoolers with a passion to work with children have the opportunity to serve as teaching assistants.Learn more
- Ready, Set, Teach! is a two-year internship that provides training on effective teaching practices. Interns at participating high schools plan and direct individualized instruction.Learn more
- With over 275 chapters state-wide, the Texas Association of Future Educators (TAFE) provides middle and high school students an opportunity to explore the teaching profession.Learn more
Opportunities for Current College Students and Graduates
- AmeriCorps offers summer and year-round education service opportunities in DFW. Members are compensated with a living allowance and education award.Learn more
- Apollo Tutors recruits scholars passionate about mentoring students. Compensation ranges from $15-$20/hour.Learn more
- Advanced Via Individual Determination (AVID) tutors provide direct instructional and social/emotional support for their students. Compensation is $15/hour.Learn more
- Breakthrough operates summer and school-year programs to assist under-resourced students. Aspiring teachers serve as fellows under the guidance of professional teachers and earn a $1500 stipend.Learn more
- CDF Freedom Schools seeks to empower under-resourced students. Servant Leader Interns have the opportunity to lead a small class, collaborate with dedicated staff and earn a $2700 stipend.Learn more
- City Year recruits diverse individuals to serve in high-need schools. Members provide instructional support, run after-school clubs, and earn a living allowance and education award.Learn more
- EAGLE Scholars, a college-readiness program for 7th-12th grade students, recruits AmeriCorps interns to lead activities, participate in field trips and inspire students on the path to college.Learn more
- By facilitating the process of hiring qualified substitute teachers, Enriched Schools ensures that a child is learning every day. Guest Educators teach when they can—and they are enriched for a lifetime.Learn more
Opportunities for Everyone
- The Dallas Public Library offers individuals the opportunity to participate in their Study Buddy program, in which volunteers can provide mentorship and homework help to K-5 students.Learn more
- EAGLE Scholars recruits volunteers to teach a college readiness curriculum once a month, tutor students once a week, host monthly book clubs, and edit scholarship essays for high school students.Learn more
- R2L is seeking Reading Buddies for their summer program. Throughout this six-week program, volunteers foster a love of reading in their students using R2L's proven model of literacy achievement.Learn more
- Focusing on students who are behind in reading, Reading Partners volunteers provide under-resourced students with individualized reading support via the Reading Partners curriculum.Learn more
- The Wesley Rankin After School Program runs from 3:00-6:00 PM during the week for students grades K-8. Volunteers help students with homework, lead clubs, and serve as tutors in the reading intervention program.Learn more
- B3X is Wesley Rankin's summer enrichment camp for 1st-8th grade students. Volunteers provide instructors support and help facilitate engaging activities for students.Learn more
- The YMCA Outreach program assists under-resourced students during the summer and school-year. Volunteers help students with hands-on activitie and help with one-on-one tutoring and reading.Learn more
Looking for more?
Another great way to explore the profession is to attend events or conferences about education. This will give you the opportunity to meet and connect with other aspiring educators and professionals in the
Enter your email to get the updates that matter.
- Career insights.
- Teacher spotlights.
- Think pieces on the state of education.
- Deadline reminders.
You can always customize what and when you hear from us.