Try Out Teaching in DFW
Teaching is incredibly rewarding work, but it’s not for everyone. Not sure whether it's for you? We’ve compiled a list of regional opportunities to explore this challenging but invaluable profession.
Why gain experience working with students?
Opportunities for Current High School Students
- Ready, Set, Teach! is a two-year internship that provides training on effective teaching practices. Interns at participating high schools plan and direct individualized instruction.Learn more
- With over 275 chapters state-wide, the Texas Association of Future Educators (TAFE) provides middle and high school students an opportunity to explore the teaching profession.Learn more
Opportunities for Current College Students and Graduates
- AmeriCorps offers summer and year-round education service opportunities in DFW. Members are compensated with a living allowance and education award.Learn more
- Apollo Tutors recruits scholars passionate about mentoring students. Compensation ranges from $15-$20/hour.Learn more
- Breakthrough operates summer and school-year programs to assist under-resourced students. Aspiring teachers serve as fellows under the guidance of professional teachers and earn a $1500 stipend.Learn more
- CDF Freedom Schools seeks to empower under-resourced students. Servant Leader Interns have the opportunity to lead a small class, collaborate with dedicated staff and earn a $2700 stipend.Learn more
- City Year recruits diverse individuals to serve in high-need schools. Members provide instructional support, run after-school clubs, and earn a living allowance and education award.Learn more
- EAGLE Scholars, a college-readiness program for 7th-12th grade students, recruits AmeriCorps interns to lead activities, participate in field trips and inspire students on the path to college.Learn more
- By facilitating the process of hiring qualified substitute teachers, Enriched Schools ensures that a child is learning every day. Guest Educators teach when they can—and they are enriched for a lifetime.Learn more
Opportunities for Everyone
- The Dallas Public Library offers individuals the opportunity to participate in their Study Buddy program, in which volunteers can provide mentorship and homework help to K-5 students.Learn more
- EAGLE Scholars recruits volunteers to teach a college readiness curriculum once a month, tutor students once a week, host monthly book clubs, and edit scholarship essays for high school students.Learn more
- R2L is seeking Reading Buddies for their summer program. Throughout this six-week program, volunteers foster a love of reading in their students using R2L's proven model of literacy achievement.Learn more
- Focusing on students who are behind in reading, Reading Partners volunteers provide under-resourced students with individualized reading support via the Reading Partners curriculum.Learn more
- The Wesley Rankin After School Program runs from 3:00-6:00 PM during the week for students grades K-8. Volunteers help students with homework, lead clubs, and serve as tutors in the reading intervention program.Learn more
- B3X is Wesley Rankin's summer enrichment camp for 1st-8th grade students. Volunteers provide instructors support and help facilitate engaging activities for students.Learn more
- The YMCA Outreach program assists under-resourced students during the summer and school-year. Volunteers help students with hands-on activitie and help with one-on-one tutoring and reading.Learn more
Sign up for access to everything we offer, right from your dashboard.
- Learn about your certification options.
- Explore teacher training programs.
- Get support for teaching tests.
- Apply for financial aid.
- Chat with certification experts via live chat, small group sessions or 1-on-1 meetings.
It’s all FREE and brought to you by the Texas Education Agency and our statewide partners.