For School Employees and Volunteers in Dallas-Ft. Worth
For School Employees
If you’re a Dallas Ft. Worth paraeducator you can turn your current job into a teaching career. Sign up to learn more.
Programs to explore
Average teacher salary
Partner school districts
of paraeducators want to become teachers
Paraeducators, substitutes and volunteers make great teachers.
Your experience in the classroom has prepared you to be an impactful teacher from the start. You have the dedication, passion and drive. We have the resources. Our 1-on-1 coaching sessions can help you navigate the process of becoming a certified teacher.
Pathways to Teaching
You already have classroom experience. Here's what's next.
Earn your degree
- The state of Texas requires that all teachers have a four-year degree from a public, private or community college. Just make sure your program is state-accredited.
- For people who are already working in schools, there are part-time and online options available.
- Some four-year programs offer a certification upon completion of the degree, depending on the program and the school.
- Whatever your lifestyle and your work situation, there is a degree path that works for you.
Complete a teacher prep program.
You’ll complete coursework and training specific to the grades and subject area you want to teach.
- Browse our partner programs to find the teacher prep program that's right for your life and schedule.
- Check out our guides to see which programs you're eligible for and what you need to do to apply.
- Start a checklist. We'll help you track your application process so you can stay confident you’re moving in the direction you want.
Pass Required Assessments
To get certified, you will need to pass one or more assessments. Some programs require you to take and pass these assessments before you apply while others require you to pass them before you finish your coursework.
We'll walk you through what tests you’ll need to take and when in our assessment guide, but it's always a good idea to contact the program you're interested in and ask about their testing requirements.
The Texas Education Agency requires teachers complete one of the designated Pre-Admission Content Tests.
- If you completed a program in a southwest state, you can take one of the required TExES exams.
- For all other teachers, you will need to pass a Praxis content area exam for certification.