A nationally ranked private university located near the heart of Dallas, SMU is a distinguished center for global research with a liberal arts tradition.
SMU’s nearly 12,000 diverse, high-achieving students come from all 50 states and 90 countries to take advantage of the University’s small classes, hands-on research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international study and innovative programs. The University offers a strong foundation in the humanities and sciences and undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs through seven schools.
Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is increasingly recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical leaders in their professions and communities. The University’s entrepreneurial spirit lives in people from every academic discipline who see opportunities to create something new in the world – and work hard to bring their innovations to life. SMU’s relationship with Dallas – the dynamic center of one of the nation’s fastest-growing regions – offers unique learning, research, social and career opportunities that provide a launch pad for our students, faculty and alumni to make a global impact. On the most beautiful college campus in the country, SMU Mustangs are energized by unbridled opportunities – from teaching, learning and research to creativity, performance and athletic endeavor.
SMU was founded by what is now The United Methodist Church, in partnership with civic leaders. The University is nonsectarian in its teaching and committed to academic freedom and open inquiry.
- College or University
- Dallas, TX
The SMU Preparation Program has helped me tremendously… Just this year I was nominated for teacher of the year and took on leadership roles (ESL coordinator for the campus and team lead for English 2)… I owe it all to the level of instruction I received at Simmons.
- Educational Studies Undergraduate Major
- SMU TFA (Teach For America Corps Members Only)
- Masters of Education with Certification Preparation
- DeadlinesProgram Start
Aug. 01, 2023Fall
Jan. 15, 2024Fall
Apr. 01, 2024Fall
Jun. 01, 2024Fall
Jun. 01, 2024Summer
Application Fee & Annual Tuition
Learn how to get$100 Back
and apply for a$1000 Scholarship
In State Tuition
Out of State Tuition
Ways to Lower Your Costs
No cost offsets reported by Southern Methodist University at this time. Check out Explore Financial Aid to find other scholarships and other financial support in Dallas - Fort Worth.
Bilingual Education / Spanish Supplemental
Computer Science (8-12)
Core Subjects (4-8)
Core Subjects (Pre-K-6)
English Language Arts and Reading (4-8)
English Language Arts and Reading (7-12)
English Language Arts and Reading / Social Studies (4-8)
Gifted & Talented (Pre-K-12)
Life Science (7-12)
Mathematics / Science (4-8)
Physical Education (Pre-K-12)
Social Studies (4-8)
Social Studies (7-12)
Technology Education (6-12)
Technology Education (7-12)
- American Indian or Alaskan Native
- Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander
- Two or more races
Students at SMU's Annette Caldwell School of Education & Human Development make many positive changes in their communities. They are educators who challenge ideas and expand minds. SMU’s teaching and research are grounded in multiple perspectives that encompass behaviorist, cognitive, social-constructivist, and sociocultural approaches to scholarship. SMU prepares the following types of teachers:
- Scholars and Leaders in Professionalism. SMU students display intellectual curiosity, engage in critical thinking, model collaboration, and leverage new technologies in their professional interactions. Through classroom-based, field-based, and technology-rich learning experiences, undergraduate students develop and refine the positive attitudes and dispositions that characterize educational leaders. Graduate students continue the journey of lifelong learning through global awareness, reflective, and evidence-based practice and informed implementation of innovation.
- Educators Committed to High-Quality Practice. SMU students stay well versed in the most current and available research from quantitative, qualitative, mixed methods, and multidisciplinary studies. They use the latest scholarship to guide their classroom practices and instructional design. SMU courses in all the degree programs include clearly laid out competency-based requirements that emphasize creative instruction, innovative technologies, and personalized feedback.
- Leaders in Translating Research into Practice. Undergraduate students implement teaching strategies that have been proven to be effective, and become leaders in the schools where they teach. Master’s students become critical consumers of research and will lead their colleagues in efforts to translate research to practice. Doctoral students become active researchers as they work beside faculty in grant-funded research to expand scientific knowledge and disseminate research findings.
- Experts in Differentiated Instruction. SMU students are sensitive and responsive to diverse learners and understand the range of learning experiences and assessments available to help them differentiate for all students in the new digital age. Students adapt their educational methods to meet the needs of all students across socio-cultural variations: linguistic, developmental, cognitive, ethnic, gender, and socio-economic status. They are committed to creating a variety of creative learning environments to address the full range of human potential and human development.
SMU's Annette Caldwell School of Education & Human Development offers a number of different programs that are tailored to the needs for different candidates and have a 99% passing rate on the Texas State Board of Education Certification exam. SMU has an average 95% job placement rate for all graduates who seek teaching jobs. Approximately 75% of graduate students are on some form of scholarship or financial aid. The majority of the SMU teacher education programs are designed for post-graduate education (Master’s degrees for practicing teachers). SMU also partners with Teach for America in DFW and offers a two-year Master's with Certification option at a very low cost. Depending on the scholarship package and programs of interest, the total cost of a Master’s in Education degree at SMU ranges between $4,000 and $25,000.