Choose your Texas certification area
Decide what you want to teach, and choose the teaching certificate that’s right for you. Read this page or download our free guide.
Before you can enroll in a teaching program, you’ll need to decide which teaching certificate you want to earn. Your teaching certificate lets you teach a specific set of grades and subjects.
On this page, we’ll go over your certification area options.
In some cases, you may have multiple certification options to choose from. For example, if you are looking to teach older elementary or middle school students, you could get certified to teach either PreK–6th grade or 4th–8th grade.
I’m not sure what subject I want to teach
What teacher certifications can I earn in Texas?
Ready to find your Texas teacher certification area? This search tool can help.
To use this tool:
- Select the grade and subject you're interested in teaching, and the chart will update to show you what certifications you need.
- Hover to explore additional notes and details.
For more information on teaching certificate options, and to see similar certifications grouped together, expand the tabs in the next section.
You can earn certifications in different subjects throughout your teaching career in Texas. You don’t have to get all your certifications at once. (2)
Learn more about Texas teacher certification areas
Talk to a Coach
Not sure which certification area is right for you? A TeachDFW coach can help you narrow down your options and choose the right fit. Sign up for your free advising session today!
- Student Loan Forgiveness for Teachers. Texas Education Agency. https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educators/educator-initiatives-and-performance/student-loan-forgiveness-for-teachers
- Additional Certification by Exam Information. Texas Education Agency. https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educators/certification/additional-certifications/additional-certification-by-exam-information
- Education Preparation Program Map. Texas Education Agency. https://tea-texas.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/8fdeed6e29b741ba8bac151ac023186d